Word Crunchers, Etc.|
Skills Based Resume
To obtain a position where I can use my experience as an office manager, bookkeeper and desktop publisher.
Highlights of Experience
I have over 14 years experience in office management with extensive experience in website design and maintenance, database design and management, desktop publishing, bookkeeping, office equipment, courier/postal and all other aspects and responsibilities of managing a modern computerized office.
- Effectively used and maintained a variety of office equipment.
- Dealt with various office systems and procedures including mail, courier, packaging and import/export.
- Trained new staff members in office procedures.
- Liaised with clients, office suppliers, graphic artists and printers.
- Organized office procedures to be more efficient.
- Prioritized projects and routine responsibilities.
- Managed businesses while owners were away on business or vacations.
- Internet: designed, maintained and promoted World Wide Web sites. Created webpages in English, French and Spanish. Researched on the web using Netscape and Internet Explorer. Sent and received e-mail and e-mail attachments using Eudora and Netscape.
- Desktop Publishing: creatively produced a 300+ page resource book, a 200+ page video training guide, a 38-page manual in English and Spanish, newsletters, brochures, full-page (and smaller) advertisements in English and French, flyers, and business cards using Adobe PageMaker.
- Data-Base: using FileMaker Pro, designed a complex relational database which relates two ways for tracking magazine advertisers; designed and maintained a complex database with over 6,000 records of clients, subscribers, purchasers and prospects with layouts for renewal letters, forms, envelopes and labels; designed and maintained databases for invoices, accounts receivable and payable, pay, checks and deposits.
- Word-Processing: produced letters, reports, proposals, etc. using MacWrite Pro and Microsoft Word.
- Bookkeeping: on a computerized system, accurately kept books to year end with monthly profit and loss statements, balance sheets and trial balances; invoicing clients; accounts receivable; accounts payable; cheques; deposits, bank reconciliations and payroll; experienced with manual bookkeeping.
- Software: experienced with Macintosh OS, Adobe PageMaker, MacWrite Pro, FileMaker Pro, Microsoft Word, SuperPaint, Business Sense, Norton Utilities, Adobe Type Manager, Graphic Converter, Netscape, Internet Explorer, Eudora Pro, Fax STF and Windows. Know basics in Excel, Access and PowerPoint.
- Owner/Operator, Word Crunchers, Etc., Victoria, BC, 17 years
- Office Manager, Connor Development Services Ltd., Victoria, BC, 14 years
- Publisher's Assistant, Sheila Jones Publishing Ltd. (The RV Times Magazine), Victoria, BC, 5-1/2 months (temporary position)
- Faith Congregational Church (Manpower Temporary Employee), 7 months (4 hours per week)
- Other Experience: pre-computer office experience - 10 years, Retail Sales - 7 years, Direct Sales - 5 years
- Founder & past president (1996), Web Enthusiasts Association of Victoria (WEAV)
- Past president (1994-96) & former webmaster, Victoria Macintosh Users Group (VMUG)
- Taught VMUG's website design special interest group (2 years).
- Assisted with VMUG's novice special interest group (1 year).
- Write a column, "VMUG On-Line" on the Internet for VMUG's monthly newsletter, MACtalk (6 years) see www.crunchers.bc.ca/vicky/library.
- Conceived the idea for an annual Macintosh Garage Sale and organized the first one.
- Organized VMUG's first and third booths, and WEAV's first booth at the annual Computer Show.
- Organized VMUG's booth at the annual Computer Show in November, 2000 on two weeks notice.
- Running for vice-president of VMUG in December.
- Website Design, Management & Promotion, Self-taught & WEAV membership, 1994 - On-going
- Peak Performance: Stress Skills & Wellness in the Workplace, Three E Training Inc., 1993
- New Exporters Program, Federal Business Development Bank, 1992-3
- Designing with Desktop Publishing, York University, 1990
- How to Handle Difficult People, Career Track, 1990
- Self-Discovery and Decision Making, Women's Studies, UVic, 1989
- Entrepreneurialism, Extension Department, UVic, 1987
- Advanced Assertiveness Training, Camosun College, 1986
- Computer Systems & Software, Self-taught & VMUG membership, since 1985
- Interpersonal Communications, Extension Department, UVic, 1984
- Accounting Clerk Diploma, Camosun College, 1977
- Business Management Diploma, Camosun College, 1970-3
- Graduated Grade 12 on University Entrance Program
- I am organized, creative and a quick learner.
- My hobbies are website design, walking, swimming, reading, gardening and handicrafts.
Desmond M. Connor, Ph.D., President
Connor Development Services Ltd.
5096 Catalina Terrace, Victoria, BC, V8Y 2A5
250-658-1323, fax: 250-658-8110
Sheila de Groen, President
Sheila Jones Publishing Ltd./The RV Times
24851 - 40th Avenue, Langley, BC, V4W 1X2
604-857-8828, fax: 604-857-8829
Lori Boittiaux, Representative
Manpower (Temporary Services)
303 - 1207 Douglas Street, Victoria, BC, V8W 2E7
250-389-6200, fax: 250-389-6255
Mr. Wilf Kinney, Pastor
Faith Congregational Church
12 - 2544 Dunlevy Street, Victoria, BC, V8R 5Z2
November 25, 2000
Please e-mail me with your questions and comments
Victoria, BC, V8P 4A5